Sunday, March 16, 2008

Time management...

Since I've been so busy with work Monday-Friday, all I really wanna do on the weekends is just chill and relax. But being a Recruiter by day and Rapper by night, I can't afford that luxury. If I'm gonna get anything done with this mixtape, I need to be in "work mode" on the weekends. This is really my time to get some major recording done. I mean...it's not like I need to travel some far distance and rely on someone else's schedule to record my songs. I pretty much have all the equipment I need right here.

About a year or two ago, I was talking to this MC who was telling me about the recording process he had to go through back in the day. He had to travel a far distance and lay down a lot of money just to get one track done. As he put it, "With technology these days, you can easily set up a home studio. If I had the equipment back then that you guys have right now, I'd have more a lot more albums out." With that said, there's no reason why I shouldn't be crankin' out songs on a weekly basis.

It's all about managing my time. I'm not saying I want to do this all the time, but a couple weekends I set a daily schedule for myself (just like I do at work) and the results turned out great. It was a very productive day, unlike yesterday where it feels like I didn't really do shit. I mean seriously...how hard is it to turn on my computer, plug in a few things, hit the record button, step in front of the mic and lay down my vocals? I couldn't even bring myself to do that!

But of course, when I get to work on Monday I'll be thinking to myself "I can't wait til the weekend comes so I can record some songs." Screw that...the vicious cycle stops here. It stops today. It's time to stop talking and start doing.

No comments: