Saturday, June 13, 2009

A whole new world...

After seeing that title, you're probably thinking of this song, but that's not what I'm referring to. Thanks to this contest (big ups to Bambu for his victory), I've become an instant fan of Zee Avi.

It's not often that I get this excited about a new artist (I think the last time was over a year ago when I first heard Blu & Exile), so this was definitely a blog-worthy topic. When I first heard her voice, it reminded me of Norah Jones in the sense that it's so unique in an era of formulaic, mass produced, dime a dozen pop stars. When I close my eyes I can even imagine myself sitting in a smoke filled jazz lounge from decades past, sipping on something "on the rocks" as she's performing on stage. So although she's a contemporary artist, her songs elicit that "old time" feeling with the way that she communicates her passion and soul through her art. Another reason why I like her music so much is that it reminds me of Jack Johnson, who is one of my favorite musicians. After doing some research, I found out that she's actually on his record label, which is fitting (I highly recommend you check out any of those artists). But don't get me wrong. While she reminds me of other people, her music still stands on its own!

I think what I like the most is the way that she's made a name for herself (primarily through YouTube). She built a following from home videos she put up and was eventually "discovered" that same way. It seems like it's relatively easy for your song to become popular through constant video and radio rotation, but to do so by word of mouth speaks volumes on the quality of the music.

It's 1:00 am and I can't wait for the store to open tomorrow/today so I can buy her album. Yeah, I already downloaded most of the songs from Limewire, but I still need to support this artist and throw down a few dollars, the same way that all of you should do with your favorite artists! Stop your bootlegging, cheapskate ways and spend a little money for the music you like! lol.



P.S. Okay, I'll admit it...I guess I have a little crush on her too. Don't worry Alicia Keys, I still got love for you! haha.

No comments: