Sunday, June 7, 2009

You're T-Paining too much...

I've never really been a fan of AutoTune (the effect that T-Pain uses) and was starting to think that it was becoming a permanent fixture in rap music the way "reality" shows have become the norm in television programming. But after hearing this new song from Jay-Z, I'm filled with a sense of hope because, let's face it, the dude is a trend setter. When he called for a boycott on Cristal, everyone followed. It's like he's a Hip Hop Shepherd and everyone is his Hip Hop Sheep. 

At first, I was just being an AutoTune hater. But as time passed, I didn't like it b/c it takes away from the real vocalists/singers. I'm cool with it if you make a satirical song just for shits and giggles, but I'm not really feelin' it past that context. And once again, Phonte from Little Brother tells it like it is. Major props for speaking his mind on the subject. But at the same time, I'll admit that I've always wanted to make one R&B love ballad joint, but since I can't sing for the life of me, the closest I'll ever come to it is using something like AutoTune.  

 

1 comment:

soul.nice said...

word! i'm glad an artist like Jay Z is saying some shit about autotune. There's not enough self criticism in hip hop, none if we're just talkin' 'bout "pop" [hip hop]. that auto tune annoys the shit outta me esp. when rappers use it. and btw, add me to your blogroll bruh [http://soulnice.wordpress.com/]