Monday, February 23, 2009

Chopping Block...

{MySpace Post from 2/18/09} --> Make sure to read the previous post first!!

[THIS IS WHAT I WROTE AT WORK THIS MORNING]:

To follow up on my last blog, the rumors and speculation have been confirmed. The company is doing lay offs.

As I'm typing this, there is definitely a somber feeling in the air. Everyone is trying to concentrate on the task at hand, but how can we honestly do that when any minute one of us can be called in to the interview room where we can potentially receive a devastating blow not only to our wallets, but to our overall morale and well being?

The office is usually filled with the sound of laughter, phones ringing, people talking on the phone, side conversations and a whole lot of other craziness – but not today. We're all pretty quiet, but there is still a lot being said. As I switch back and forth from my computer screen to the rest of the office, I make the occasional eye contact with another co-worker as we peer over our short little cubicle walls. Again, nothing is actually said, but a whole conversation takes place in those 1-2 seconds of eye contact: "Who's been let go so far? Do you think you'll be next? Will I be next? What are we going to do after this? What about our co-workers? What will I do for income?"

It's 9:30 am and the anticipation is unbearable. Our boss said she'll be interviewing people all day, even the ones who aren't being let go. Every time my phone rings, I ask myself if this is the call. "Is it my turn to go into the interview room?" I can only imagine how heavy each step will be as I inch closer and closer to the room. Just thinking about it has left me with a heavy heart and a twisting, churning feeling in my gut.

Shit. I just found out one of my closest friends here got the axe. I can't take this…I don't know what to do.


[HERE'S A REAL-TIME UPDATE]:

It's 11:40 am and I'm typing this from home. Nuff said...

No comments: