Monday, February 23, 2009

"Daaass my jaaaaam!!!"

{MySpace post from 10/21/08}

In my quest to take a walk down memory lane, I was checking out YouTube for some old school videos when I started coming across some 90's R&B joints, which got me thinking: Am I trippin' or is the R&B nowadays just not what it used to be?

I'm trying as much as possible not to be the older "Shake your fist / complain about 'kids these days' / back in my day the music had substance" kind of guy, but no matter how much I try to sugarcoat it, it's gonna come off wrong. All I'll say is this: I pretty much stopped listening to R&B around 2000 or 2001 (with the exception of a select few like Erykah Badu, Alicia Keys, India Arie, John Legend, Estelle, etc). I'm not knocking it b/c I'm sure there are still a lot of good singers out there that don't follow that simple Pop Music formula, but I'm just not exposed to it as much. I'm more into Hip Hop and 60's/70's Funk & Soul...and that's simply where I'm at in my musical journey.

But let's get back to the 90's R&B joints. Maaan, it just takes me back to my days growing up (these are mainly from middle school and high school, but the SWV joint was when I was in elementary). There might be some dudes reading this right now thinking "Man, this dude is WACK! I can't believe this fool is talking about some old ass R&B songs." Hey, fair enough. But before you became Mr. Masculine Machismo, you were probably bumpin' these songs like the rest of us. Check out this video of Little Brother at a show that I went to a month or two ago (peep the first 4.5 minutes). Yo, Phonte hit the nail on the head!!! He summed it up perfectly...



Now check out a few of the slow jams from that era. There's A LOT of them, but it's all good. This is barely scratching the surface. Now TELL ME this doesn't bring you back!!! (feel free to comment with your flashback joints...and put the video if possible)


























And before you youngstas out there start clowning, there's a chance you might've even been conceived with these songs playing. haha.

No comments: